Sunday, January 30, 2011

Brian's First Burl Bowl


About twenty years ago, Brian made me this unique burl bowl and it remains one of my favourites. Burls are irregular growths that form on the side of trees in response to injury, broken branches, mould or insects which cause stress to the tree.  These rounded, bark-covered knobs are highly prized for their erratic patterns and peculiar grains.



This maple burl is very special because Brian cut it from a maple tree on my family farm.  He was walking in the bush and saw the gnarled growth on the side of a tree.  Brian was able to cut it off without injuring the tree and turned his first burl.  The result is a vessel of highly-figured unexpected beauty.  Our family farm has been sold but I have this extraordinary bowl as a reminder of my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment